We hope you enjoyed your summer! The days are definitely growing cooler and winter is right around the corner. Now is the perfect time to start thinking about preparing your outdoor living space for winter months; you’ll want to maintain your wooden deck, outdoor furniture, and paver patio to extend their life. Here are a few tips to get you started.
Protecting Your Deck and Patio
- Sweep the surface removing all leaves and debris to help prevent mold and mildew forming.
- Wash with mild soap and water. If some dirt remains or if there are signs of mold, you may need to pressure wash the surfaces. It is advisable that you use a professional as pressure washing at too high of a setting may cause damage.
- If you have a deck, inspect the entire deck (slats, handrails, railings, and posts) noting any rotting, loose rails, or warping. If re-hammering the nails or tightening screws causes the nails or screws to sink into soft wood or splits the wood, then the piece should be replaced.
- If you have a patio, add joining sand and sweep evenly into the joints of your patio. Don’t put too much sand on the patio at one time. Most paver patios have tight joints between bricks and won’t need a lot of sand.
Protecting Your Furniture
- Wash and store vinyl furniture indoors.
- Inspect any wood furniture for damage and make the necessary repairs before covering or storing it for winter.
- Cover with a heavy tarp or store inside a shed or garage to protect it from the elements.
- Clean soil from planters. Any pots made of clay or other fragile materials should be brought indoors.
Tips for Snow Removal
- If you are shoveling snow from your deck, run the shovel lengthwise across the boards to minimize scratching or cutting into the wood. Another option is to use a plastic shovel.
- Avoid salt and other ice melting substances as they may damage or discolor your deck finish.
Summer days are coming to an end and fall is right around the corner. This is the perfect time of year to plan a project for fall, winter, or even early spring. Although the warmer months may soon be behind us, Archadeck will continue to build year round. Now is the time to lock in this year’s prices and avoid the increases we see in early spring. Planning your project during the fall and winter seasons also ensures that your project will be ready to use when the weather warms up again. Instead of spending your warm spring days sifting through busy contractors and waiting for the completion of your project. You will already be relaxing in the sun on your patio or entertaining on your new deck. This is the perfect season to start that new project!
Learn more about the advantages of building your outdoor living space in the fall and winter months.
It happens to many of us. We have grand visions of the outdoor living space we want to create, but something like a beloved tree may stand in our way. Sometimes all you need is a little creativity and a knowledgeable contractor. These homeowners knew they wanted to build around the tree, but getting started can sometimes seem a bit daunting. We were pleased to be given the opportunity help them design a deck that wouldn’t harm their tree while also creating a functional and aesthetically pleasing space. Read more about it here.
We are excited to share that we have been named 2013 Best Pick by EBSCO Research for the second year in a row. We are honored to receive this recognition because it is based on testimonials directly from the Chicagoland homeowners we work with day in and day out.
According to the Local Tribune, “Only top-rated companies that qualify in EBSCO Research’s rigorous research process can earn “Best Pick” status. Archadeck of Chicagoland excelled throughout this research process, boasting an overall “A” grade based on more than 100 candid telephone interviews with Chicago-area homeowners.”
Overall, the Best Pick status reinforces our mission, to design outdoor living spaces that blend with our customers’ homes and fit within their lifestyles, while delivering high quality work and service throughout the process.
Read the full article here.
According to Builder Blog, a recent survey by Professional Builders shows decks, outdoor fireplaces, fire pits and screened porches are among the most demanded outdoor living features. Thinking about sprucing up your backyard? Give us a call and visit our showroom!