Explore Chicago area patio design, featuring a classic Chicagoland Outdoor Kitchen and built-in Gas Fire Pit.
When Kildeer, IL homeowners decided they were ready to replace their tired and worn deck, they called local Chicago area patio builder, Archadeck of Chicagoland. With their grand plans for a larger space to entertain, along with an outdoor kitchen and fire pit, we knew Senior Design Consultant, Kristen Berryhill, would be the perfect designer for the project. She didn’t disappoint!
Because our clients wanted a space for food prep, cooking, and dining, Kristen included a classic Chicagoland Outdoor Kitchen. These durable outdoor kitchens are designed to be an affordable investment, withstand the harsh Chicago winters, and most importantly, provide an attractive space for cooking and dining. Continue reading “Chicagoland Patio Design with Outdoor Kitchen & Fire Pit”
Chicagoland outdoor kitchens that withstand cold winters while suiting your needs and budget.
One of the hottest outdoor living trends is the outdoor kitchen. We’ve seen them for years in the warmer climates, but now the trend is moving even to areas like our own. With cold Chicago winters, one might wonder if adding an outdoor kitchen to their backyard is even possible. The answer is yes!
Probably the most popular and well-known outdoor kitchen design is the California Outdoor Kitchen. These kitchens are truly stunning and often include everything you would expect to find in an indoor kitchen. Designed for climates with warm temperatures year round, certain aspects or amenities, unfortunately, are not suitable for cold weather. For instance, you wouldn’t want a polished granite countertop around a sink as Chicago weather has a very distinct freeze and thaw cycle. The expanding and contracting could cause your beautiful countertop to crack.
The good news is, outdoor kitchens are completely customizable. Archadeck can design your outdoor kitchen to be as elaborate or as modest as you wish. Continue reading “Chicagoland Outdoor Kitchens”
Learn how to keep your family and pets safe with these important fire pit safety tips.
Backyard fire pits are a rising trend among outdoor living spaces. Fire pits conveniently provide a way to enjoy the backyard during cooler weather and are perfect for homeowners who enjoy entertaining or spending time outside with their family. A warm fire creates a cozy and inviting atmosphere, whether you’re curling up quietly under the stars or laughing with a group of friends. Ensure everyone has a good time and stays safe by implementing these important safety tools.
Continue reading “Fire Pit Safety Tips from Archadeck of Chicagoland”
Archadeck of Chicagoland discusses the differences between concrete and paver patios and how to get more for your money.
Patios make great outdoor living spaces. They require little maintenance and allow for creative design options that make your yard more versatile and usable. If you are considering a patio, you are probably researching your material options. The three most popular are pavers, concrete, and stamped concrete.
At Archadeck of Chicagoland, we use pavers for the patios we build. Here’s why:
Continue reading “Why Should I Use Pavers for My Chicagoland Patio?”
Three determining factors to help you decide when to start planning for your deck or patio project.
One of the most common questions we hear early in the year at Archadeck is “when should I start planning my deck or patio if I want to use it this summer?” If you want to make sure you’re on the construction schedule and your project is built and ready to use in time to enjoy the warmer weather, then late winter or early spring is usually the best time to start the process. Here are a three things to consider while determining when you want to start your project.
Are you looking to maximize the value of your home? Outdoor living spaces have become the latest trend to take home improvement by storm. With more homeowners moving their fun to the backyard, a deck or patio creates the perfect space to blend indoor comfort with the open outdoors.
HGTV goes over the current trends for decks and patios, mistakes to avoid, and expert tips for every budget.
At Archadeck of Chicagoland, custom design is our specialty. We took great joy in designing this paver patio with our clients. From the spacious layout to the clearly defined living sections, this patio is truly unique. We start with a design plan that is tweaked and adjusted until it is exactly what our client is looking for. As you can see in this design, we created separate spaces that transition nicely for grilling, dining, seating, and the hot tub.
For this particular design, we used a different color of stone for the Soldiers Course. This helped to clearly define the different spaces while creating a striking and aesthetically pleasing look.
Fire pits and seat walls offer a warm and inviting space for family and friends.
If a hot tub is desired, it is important to incorporate the space in the design so that the space flows easily.
Adding low voltage lighting to your outdoor living space creates an intimate feel while transforming your patio into a nighttime wonderland.
If you are considering a patio, deck, or other outdoor living space, please give Archadeck of Chicagoland a call. Our design consultants would love to speak with you! You may contact us at (847) 749-2373 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
See you in the Backyard!
We hope you enjoyed your summer! The days are definitely growing cooler and winter is right around the corner. Now is the perfect time to start thinking about preparing your outdoor living space for winter months; you’ll want to maintain your wooden deck, outdoor furniture, and paver patio to extend their life. Here are a few tips to get you started.
Protecting Your Deck and Patio
- Sweep the surface removing all leaves and debris to help prevent mold and mildew forming.
- Wash with mild soap and water. If some dirt remains or if there are signs of mold, you may need to pressure wash the surfaces. It is advisable that you use a professional as pressure washing at too high of a setting may cause damage.
- If you have a deck, inspect the entire deck (slats, handrails, railings, and posts) noting any rotting, loose rails, or warping. If re-hammering the nails or tightening screws causes the nails or screws to sink into soft wood or splits the wood, then the piece should be replaced.
- If you have a patio, add joining sand and sweep evenly into the joints of your patio. Don’t put too much sand on the patio at one time. Most paver patios have tight joints between bricks and won’t need a lot of sand.
Protecting Your Furniture
- Wash and store vinyl furniture indoors.
- Inspect any wood furniture for damage and make the necessary repairs before covering or storing it for winter.
- Cover with a heavy tarp or store inside a shed or garage to protect it from the elements.
- Clean soil from planters. Any pots made of clay or other fragile materials should be brought indoors.
Tips for Snow Removal
- If you are shoveling snow from your deck, run the shovel lengthwise across the boards to minimize scratching or cutting into the wood. Another option is to use a plastic shovel.
- Avoid salt and other ice melting substances as they may damage or discolor your deck finish.
We were delighted when the Hall family, local Palatine homeowners, won second place in the national Dream Backyard Makeover, sponsored by Archadeck and Belgard. Their existing outdoor living space consisted of a cracked concrete patio closely surrounded by large bushes. The young family had recently purchased the home and dreamed of having a beautiful open space to enjoy with their friends and family.
After making the announcement that they had won, we got together to discuss how they envisioned their new outdoor living space. Custom design is our specialty, so together we walked through the tried and true process we use to create the best design for their family. To do this we focused on the four most important aspects of a design: space, function, aesthetics, and budget.
- It was important to know about any spatial issues they might have. Knowing ahead of time where property lines and natural easements are help us to determine how much space is available to use, or to prepare a plan of action in the case a client may want to request a variance from the village for additional space.
- Functional needs tie into the discussion of spatial issues. If we designed too small, the Halls would not be able to use the space as they had envisioned. If we designed to large, they would have more patio than they needed and the space would go unused. Most of us don’t build patios and decks every day, so determining how much space you need can almost feel bewildering. In order to help the Hall family determine how much space they would need, we discussed how they planned to use the space. Did they just want an area to sit and enjoy the sun? A place for a table and grill? Enough room to comfortably host an outdoor party? Each of these require different amounts of space. Knowing what they ultimately want to do with their patio helped us determine the amount of space that would suit their needs.
- Discussing aesthetics is also a key element in helping us design the right outdoor living space for our clients. We showed the Halls several pictures of previous projects we have built, asking them to point out aspects they either liked or those they did not favor. This helped us design specifically to their taste and style.
- At Archadeck, we design to a budget. We don’t want to develop a design that is two or three times what our clients want to invest. Knowing an ideal budget helps us keep a design within the parameters of what they are comfortable investing in their project. This time was no different. The Hall family won the second prize of the Dream Backyard Makeover contest, so we worked with them to design the perfect space while remaining within the designated amount alloted by the contest rules.
Once we had the design in place, we set everything in motion to begin building. Breaking ground was an exciting moment for both the Halls and our Archadeck team! We began by discussing building plans with our crew, making sure every detail was addressed before we began. The crew broke up and removed the old concrete patio and put in new drain tiles.
Next they put the base in, getting everything set for the new Belgard Pavers. The Halls chose a wonderful combination of Buckingham Cobble and Weston Wall for their seat wall.
With the bricks laid, we put down grass seed and green matting to fill in the dirt that is left from building the patio.
The outcome was beautiful. We enjoyed the opportunity to work with them and hope they enjoy their new patio with family and friends for many years.
Take a look at one of the latest projects we built in the Chicago Suburbs! We were thrilled to help these Vernon Hills homeowners design this beautiful multi-level patio. With two different levels uniquely designed, they can now create four different outdoor living spaces that blend together smoothly. The lower level consists of a dining area with space for a table and chairs as well as a section for entertaining at their new custom limestone bar. The second level has a space for grilling and a peaceful area for relaxing in the hot tub. The patio was created with Lafitt Pavers. A Holland Stone soldier’s course and circle inset add an attractive detail, and the Belair walls create a stunning effect while helping to define the different outdoor living spaces.
Here is a before picture of a project in Vernon Hills. The homeowners decided to replace this aging deck with a patio designed to be more functional for their needs.
You can see the old deck has been torn out and that the new Lafitt pavers and Holland stone have been laid. Looks like it’s time to build the Belair walls!
The Belair walls are coming along!
Almost finished! A custom limestone counter top will be installed soon.
Here you can see the beautiful stone these homeowners chose. An excellent combination if you ask us!
This is the higher level of the patio. It surrounds the hot tub and has a space for their grill. Perfect for entertaining friends and family!
They’re hard at work, paying close attention to every detail, ensuring the patio is crafted with the quality and beauty that Archadeck and our clients expect.
A look at the nearly finished project. The homeowners and their guests will soon be enjoying the custom limestone countertop!
Here is the completed project. We hope these homeowners enjoy many years of outdoor living on their new Archadeck patio!