Explore Chicago area patio design, featuring a classic Chicagoland Outdoor Kitchen and built-in Gas Fire Pit.
When Kildeer, IL homeowners decided they were ready to replace their tired and worn deck, they called local Chicago area patio builder, Archadeck of Chicagoland. With their grand plans for a larger space to entertain, along with an outdoor kitchen and fire pit, we knew Senior Design Consultant, Kristen Berryhill, would be the perfect designer for the project. She didn’t disappoint!
Because our clients wanted a space for food prep, cooking, and dining, Kristen included a classic Chicagoland Outdoor Kitchen. These durable outdoor kitchens are designed to be an affordable investment, withstand the harsh Chicago winters, and most importantly, provide an attractive space for cooking and dining. Continue reading “Chicagoland Patio Design with Outdoor Kitchen & Fire Pit”
Archadeck of Chicagoland brings you five inspiring patio design ideas to give your backyard a unique look!
Looking for inspiration for your new patio? Think beyond the standard circle and square designs. Here are five inspiring patio design ideas to give your backyard a unique look!
Seat walls define your outdoor living space and create accent pieces, helping to make your patio design unique. A great example is this Belgard patio in Naperville, IL which features a Weston Wall seat wall in Cotswold Mist and Holland Stone pavers in Kensington Red.
Continue reading “Patio Ideas by Archadeck of Chicagoland”
Archadeck of Chicagoland discusses the differences between concrete and paver patios and how to get more for your money.
Patios make great outdoor living spaces. They require little maintenance and allow for creative design options that make your yard more versatile and usable. If you are considering a patio, you are probably researching your material options. The three most popular are pavers, concrete, and stamped concrete.
At Archadeck of Chicagoland, we use pavers for the patios we build. Here’s why:
Continue reading “Why Should I Use Pavers for My Chicagoland Patio?”
Don’t overestimate the amount of space you need for your deck or patio. Use these three factors to help you determine how much space you need.
Planning and designing your deck, patio, or other outdoor living space is an exciting time! One of the most important key factors in designing your project is knowing how much space you will need. It is very easy to overestimate the size of deck or patio you need. In order to help our clients determine the amount of space they need, we discuss three important aspects.
Continue reading “How to Determine How Much Space You Need for Your Deck or Patio”
Are you looking to maximize the value of your home? Outdoor living spaces have become the latest trend to take home improvement by storm. With more homeowners moving their fun to the backyard, a deck or patio creates the perfect space to blend indoor comfort with the open outdoors.
HGTV goes over the current trends for decks and patios, mistakes to avoid, and expert tips for every budget.
One of the benefits of paver patios is the ability to modify or expand your patio design. Last year, Archadeck of Chicagoland designed and built a patio in Libertyville, IL for these clients. This year, they decided to expand the patio and add a fire pit and grill surround. We removed the existing soldiers course and integrated the pavers so that the patio design remained seamless. The soldiers course was replaced around the edges of the new patio and around the inset circle for definition. The finished project resulted in a beautiful and spacious area to enjoy with friends and family.
Expanded Paver Patio with Fire Pit
Expanded Paver Patio with Grill Surround
New Fire Pit
New Westin Wall Grill Surround
Expanded Paver Patio with Fire Pit and Grill Surround
Soldiers Course Around Patio and Circle Inset
We hope you enjoyed your summer! The days are definitely growing cooler and winter is right around the corner. Now is the perfect time to start thinking about preparing your outdoor living space for winter months; you’ll want to maintain your wooden deck, outdoor furniture, and paver patio to extend their life. Here are a few tips to get you started.
Protecting Your Deck and Patio
- Sweep the surface removing all leaves and debris to help prevent mold and mildew forming.
- Wash with mild soap and water. If some dirt remains or if there are signs of mold, you may need to pressure wash the surfaces. It is advisable that you use a professional as pressure washing at too high of a setting may cause damage.
- If you have a deck, inspect the entire deck (slats, handrails, railings, and posts) noting any rotting, loose rails, or warping. If re-hammering the nails or tightening screws causes the nails or screws to sink into soft wood or splits the wood, then the piece should be replaced.
- If you have a patio, add joining sand and sweep evenly into the joints of your patio. Don’t put too much sand on the patio at one time. Most paver patios have tight joints between bricks and won’t need a lot of sand.
Protecting Your Furniture
- Wash and store vinyl furniture indoors.
- Inspect any wood furniture for damage and make the necessary repairs before covering or storing it for winter.
- Cover with a heavy tarp or store inside a shed or garage to protect it from the elements.
- Clean soil from planters. Any pots made of clay or other fragile materials should be brought indoors.
Tips for Snow Removal
- If you are shoveling snow from your deck, run the shovel lengthwise across the boards to minimize scratching or cutting into the wood. Another option is to use a plastic shovel.
- Avoid salt and other ice melting substances as they may damage or discolor your deck finish.
Summer days are coming to an end and fall is right around the corner. This is the perfect time of year to plan a project for fall, winter, or even early spring. Although the warmer months may soon be behind us, Archadeck will continue to build year round. Now is the time to lock in this year’s prices and avoid the increases we see in early spring. Planning your project during the fall and winter seasons also ensures that your project will be ready to use when the weather warms up again. Instead of spending your warm spring days sifting through busy contractors and waiting for the completion of your project. You will already be relaxing in the sun on your patio or entertaining on your new deck. This is the perfect season to start that new project!
Learn more about the advantages of building your outdoor living space in the fall and winter months.
We were delighted when the Hall family, local Palatine homeowners, won second place in the national Dream Backyard Makeover, sponsored by Archadeck and Belgard. Their existing outdoor living space consisted of a cracked concrete patio closely surrounded by large bushes. The young family had recently purchased the home and dreamed of having a beautiful open space to enjoy with their friends and family.
After making the announcement that they had won, we got together to discuss how they envisioned their new outdoor living space. Custom design is our specialty, so together we walked through the tried and true process we use to create the best design for their family. To do this we focused on the four most important aspects of a design: space, function, aesthetics, and budget.
- It was important to know about any spatial issues they might have. Knowing ahead of time where property lines and natural easements are help us to determine how much space is available to use, or to prepare a plan of action in the case a client may want to request a variance from the village for additional space.
- Functional needs tie into the discussion of spatial issues. If we designed too small, the Halls would not be able to use the space as they had envisioned. If we designed to large, they would have more patio than they needed and the space would go unused. Most of us don’t build patios and decks every day, so determining how much space you need can almost feel bewildering. In order to help the Hall family determine how much space they would need, we discussed how they planned to use the space. Did they just want an area to sit and enjoy the sun? A place for a table and grill? Enough room to comfortably host an outdoor party? Each of these require different amounts of space. Knowing what they ultimately want to do with their patio helped us determine the amount of space that would suit their needs.
- Discussing aesthetics is also a key element in helping us design the right outdoor living space for our clients. We showed the Halls several pictures of previous projects we have built, asking them to point out aspects they either liked or those they did not favor. This helped us design specifically to their taste and style.
- At Archadeck, we design to a budget. We don’t want to develop a design that is two or three times what our clients want to invest. Knowing an ideal budget helps us keep a design within the parameters of what they are comfortable investing in their project. This time was no different. The Hall family won the second prize of the Dream Backyard Makeover contest, so we worked with them to design the perfect space while remaining within the designated amount alloted by the contest rules.
Once we had the design in place, we set everything in motion to begin building. Breaking ground was an exciting moment for both the Halls and our Archadeck team! We began by discussing building plans with our crew, making sure every detail was addressed before we began. The crew broke up and removed the old concrete patio and put in new drain tiles.
Next they put the base in, getting everything set for the new Belgard Pavers. The Halls chose a wonderful combination of Buckingham Cobble and Weston Wall for their seat wall.
With the bricks laid, we put down grass seed and green matting to fill in the dirt that is left from building the patio.
The outcome was beautiful. We enjoyed the opportunity to work with them and hope they enjoy their new patio with family and friends for many years.
Take a look at one of the latest projects we built in the Chicago Suburbs! We were thrilled to help these Vernon Hills homeowners design this beautiful multi-level patio. With two different levels uniquely designed, they can now create four different outdoor living spaces that blend together smoothly. The lower level consists of a dining area with space for a table and chairs as well as a section for entertaining at their new custom limestone bar. The second level has a space for grilling and a peaceful area for relaxing in the hot tub. The patio was created with Lafitt Pavers. A Holland Stone soldier’s course and circle inset add an attractive detail, and the Belair walls create a stunning effect while helping to define the different outdoor living spaces.
Here is a before picture of a project in Vernon Hills. The homeowners decided to replace this aging deck with a patio designed to be more functional for their needs.
You can see the old deck has been torn out and that the new Lafitt pavers and Holland stone have been laid. Looks like it’s time to build the Belair walls!
The Belair walls are coming along!
Almost finished! A custom limestone counter top will be installed soon.
Here you can see the beautiful stone these homeowners chose. An excellent combination if you ask us!
This is the higher level of the patio. It surrounds the hot tub and has a space for their grill. Perfect for entertaining friends and family!
They’re hard at work, paying close attention to every detail, ensuring the patio is crafted with the quality and beauty that Archadeck and our clients expect.
A look at the nearly finished project. The homeowners and their guests will soon be enjoying the custom limestone countertop!
Here is the completed project. We hope these homeowners enjoy many years of outdoor living on their new Archadeck patio!